Do I need a zoning/building permit to construct a driveway?
Yes, if you are removing from the lot more than 20 cubic yards per year of soil, sand, rock or gravel, or adding or moving on-site more than 200 cubic yards per year. You first will need to obtain Conditional use approval through a public hearing before the Zoning Board of Adjustments. If the removal or filling is in connection with a development for which site development plan approval has been granted, you do not need the conditional use approval.

If you are accessing a public road, you also need a driveway permit from the Hartford Department of Public Works.

Show All Answers

1. When do I need a zoning/building permit?
2. What do I need to submit with the zoning/building permit application?
3. Why do I need to show surface waters on my property?
4. Can I locate the structures anywhere on the property?
5. Do I need a Zoning/Building Permit for a fence, hedge or retaining wall?
6. How do I find out if my property is in a flood plain and do I need any special approvals before I can construct?
7. What approvals are required for commercial properties?
8. Do I need a zoning/building permit to construct a driveway?
9. Are there fees associated with obtaining a building/zoning permit?
10. How long does it take to process a permit?
11. Must construction begin and be completed within a specified time period after I receive a permit?
12. What should I do if there is a change in the project after I have received the permit?
13. How do I apply for an administrative approval?
14. What do I do after the project is completed?