The Town of Hartford will be forming a joint advisory committee that will be constituted of seven Hartford citizen members. There shall be one member of the Selectboard, one member of the School Board, two members appointed by the Selectboard, two members appointed by the School Board and one member appointed jointly by the Selectboard and the School Board. Each member shall have equal weight in discussion and voting.
The term of this commission shall end upon completion of the charge; not later than March 5, 2019.
The Committee Charge will be: To consider topics and areas of concern within the Charter for revision and/or update and provide recommendations, in the form of a revised Charter, to both the Hartford School Board and Selectboard no later than November 30, 2018.
- Primary areas of focus include, but are not limited to:
- Petition Language
- Town Manager’s Duties/Responsibilities/Authorities
- Elected Officials Section Cleanup
- Commissions/Committee Section Cleanup
- Clerk Section Cleanup
- Recall Vote Process
- Board Member Absence Clarification
- Quorum Language
- Cleanup Internal Conflicts
- Agreement with Open Meeting Law and State Statute
- Clarify Floor Meeting and Australian Ballot Topics
- Clarify Budget Revote Process
- Clarify Tied Election Process
- Process for Unilateral Charter Amendment for matters Affecting only the School or Town.
To provide regular updates to the Selectboard and School Board in person or in writing.
To present suggested charter amendments to the Town at public meetings.
As with all Hartford Subcommittees, the Committee must operate in accordance with the Statutes of the State of Vermont and the Ordinances and Policies of the Town of Hartford. In particular, all meetings will be warned and open to the public and the minutes of these meetings will be recorded and posted in accordance with Vermont’s Open Meeting Law.
Applications are due by September 7th.
To Apply to be on this committee you can find an application on the Town’s website, stop in to the Town Hall or call (802-295-9353) to have one emailed to you