REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS
TOWN OF HARTFORD HISTORIC PRESERVATION COMMISSION NATIONAL REGISTER NOMINATION UPDATE FOR
THE WHITE RIVER JUNCTION HISTORIC DISTRICT,
MAY 6, 2016
Contact: Matt Osborn, Planner, AICP Department of Planning and Development Services Town of Hartford
171 Bridge Street
White River Junction, Vermont 05001
Issuance: May 6, 2016
Response Deadline: May 31, 2016
The Town of Hartford and its Historic Preservation Commission are pursuing an update to the National Register nomination for the White River Junction (WRJ) Historic District. The WRJ District was first listed on the National Register in 1980. The Nomination had 29 buildings of which 22 were contributing resources. In 2002, the District was updated and expanded to include 55 buildings, of which 36 were contributing resources.
Since 2002, WRJ became a designated downtown under the Vermont Downtown Program. A design review district was established and economic revitalization returned following a period of economic decline. In the last fourteen years, many changes have occurred in the Downtown. Several WRJ buildings have been demolished. New buildings have been constructed and several buildings renovated.
Funds for the nomination update have been provided by the United States Department of the Interior, National Park Service, for the Certified Local Government Program of Vermont's annual program grant under the provisions of the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966 (P.L. 89-665), as amended.
Hartford is located in the heart of the Upper Valley region and consists of five villages (WRJ, Hartford Village, Wilder, Quechee and West Hartford) and several smaller hamlets. With a population of 10,000 residents, Hartford is the ninth largest community in Vermont. First chartered in 1761, Hartford has three major rivers (Connecticut, White and Ottauquechee) along with a rich agricultural, railroad and mill history. The first railroad train in Vermont left WRJ on June 26, 1848, and for the next century WRJ had the distinction of being one of the busiest railroad towns in northern New England.