Planning & Development
SEE TOWN HOME PAGE FOR UPDATED COVID-19 IFORMATION. THANK YOU
In compliance with Vermont’s stay-at-home requirement Planning and Development staff are working remotely.
If you wish to speak about issuance of a Zoning Permit please contact Brenda Lamphere at firstname.lastname@example.org or 802-295-3075.
Addressing residents' and businesses' concerns and questions remains a high priority. Please contact us via email. If you are unable to do that, please leave a message.
We appreciate your patience as we adapt to virtual communications.
Lori Hirshfield, Director: email@example.com
Matt Osborn, Town Planner: firstname.lastname@example.org
To provide efficient and professional planning and development assistance and service to the Hartford community, while preserving the history, character and uniqueness of Hartford
The Department of Planning and Development Services is responsible for the administration of local planning issues, including:
- Downtown promotion
- Economic development
- Flood plain regulations
- Long-range planning projects
- Zoning enforcement
- Zoning permits
Commissions & Committees
The department staffs the:
- Community Resilience Organization of Hartford (CROH)
- Conservation Commission
- Design Review Committee
- Energy Commission
- Hartford Business Revolving Loan Fund Committee
- Historic Preservation Commission
- Planning Commission
- Zoning Board of Adjustment
The department also works closely with:
- Green Mountain Economic Development Corporation
- Small Business Development Center
- Two Rivers-Ottauquechee Planning Commission
- Vital Communities
- When do I need a zoning/building permit?
- What do I need to submit with the zoning/building permit application?
- Why do I need to show surface waters on my property?
- Can I locate the structures anywhere on the property?
- Do I need a Zoning/Building Permit for a fence, hedge or retaining wall?
- How do I find out if my property is in a flood plain and do I need any special approvals before I can construct?
- What approvals are required for commercial properties?
- Do I need a zoning/building permit to construct a driveway?
- Are there fees associated with obtaining a building/zoning permit?
- How long does it take to process a permit?
- Must construction begin and be completed within a specified time period after I receive a permit?
- What should I do if there is a change in the project after I have received the permit?
- How do I apply for an administrative approval?
- What do I do after the project is completed?