Town Clerk's Office

Election Information & Resources

Hartford registered voters may request an Early/Absentee ballot by mail for the Annual Town/School District Meeting Election by contacting the Clerk's Office at 802-295-2785; OR, e-mailing or; OR, online through Vermont My Voter Page Ballots will be available no later than February 10, 2021 and must be returned to the Clerk’s office no later than NOON on Monday, March 1, 2021; OR, your ballot can be hand-carried to the polling place on election day, March 2, 2021. The polls are open from 7:00am-7:00pm at the Hartford High School Gymnasium (37 Highland Avenue, White River Jct., VT  05001)

We encourage you to vote early and vote at home, but in-person voting is still available, subject to the polling place safety guidelines we developed with the Vermont Department of Health, following CDC best practices. For additional information got to

Due to the impact of COVID-19, if voting in-person or entering the polling place on Election Day, voters will need to wear a mask. If a voter is unable to wear a mask, election officials will accommodate the voter at the rear entrance of the gymnasium to minimize contact with other voters and election workers. If voters have questions or need clarification, please contact the Clerk’s office at 802-295-2785.


Residents of the Town of Hartford, may register to vote by going online or contacting the Town Clerk’s Office for an application.

Voters may visit My Voter Page to register to vote; verify voter registration; update voter information; and/or, request/track an Early/Absentee Ballot.

— Can voters who don’t want to mail in their absentee ballots use a drop box? Hartford will have a Drop Box located at the back entrance of Town Hall facing Lyman Point Park (171 Bridge Street, White River Jct., VT  05001) Monday through Friday from 8am-5pm from February 10th-February 26th; AND, on Monday, March 1st from 8am-NOON. On Election Day, March 2nd, Drop Boxes will be located at the Entrance and Exit of the Polling Location from 7am-6pm. Voters may also hand-carry their ballots into the polling place and give them to the Town Clerk; a member of the Board of Civil Authority (BCA); or, an Assistant Election Worker. 

 — Is the Clerk’s office open for in-person voting/ballot delivery? Currently, Hartford Town Hall remains closed to the public, therefore voters will NOT be able to vote at the Town Clerk’s Office in-person as they have in the past.

 — Where will polling places be for in-person voting on Election Day? The polling place is at the Hartford High School Gymnasium at 37 Highland Avenue, White River Jct., VT  05001 (this is the normal polling location for Hartford). The polls in Hartford are open from 7:00am to 7:00pm

Please contact the Hartford Town Clerk’s Office with any questions or concerns  802-295-2785 or or


Dog Licenses 

Hartford Town Hall is currently closed to the Public due to the pandemic; we are currently processing ALL Dog Licenses via Mail.

All dogs over the age of 6 months are required by state law to be licensed before April 1 of each year.  To license a dog, you must have a current rabies certificate.

Dog License Fees:

  • $9 spayed/neutered ($11 after April 1)
  • $13 unspayed/unneutered ($17 after April 1)
Late fees will be added to any unlicensed dog after April 1, 2021.

We accept payment by check/mail order via mail.  We DO NOT ACCEPT CREDIT/DEBIT CARDS. (When Town Hall re-opens, we will accept Cash and in-person dog licensing).

Please contact the clerk's office with any questions at 802-295-2785 or by email at or

Functions of the Town Clerk's Office

Vermont State Statutes set the duties and responsibilities of the Town Clerk's office. The Town Clerk's office is responsible for:
  • Issuing dog licenses
  • Ordering ballots
  • Overseeing elections and counting votes
  • Receiving petitions and verifying legal voters
  • Receiving requests for absentee ballots and sending absentee ballots
  • Recording and maintaining all:
    • Deeds
    • Mortgages
    • Permits
    • Vital records
  • Temporary motor vehicle renewals
  • Town and school meeting minutes 2011
  • Updating and maintaining the voter checklist


  • Discharges
  • Easement deeds
  • Mobile home bills of sale
  • Mortgage deeds
  • Partial releases
  • Property transfer tax returns
  • Quitclaim deeds
  • Tax collector reports of sales
  • Warranty deeds

Vital Statistics

  • Birth Certificates, 1857 - to date
  • Death Certificates, 1857 - to date
  • Marriage Certificates, 1857 - to date

Marriage Licenses


A Vermont resident being married in Vermont must purchase a marriage license from the Town Clerk of the town he or she resides in. An out-of-state resident may purchase a marriage license from any Vermont Town Clerk. The marriage license may be used on the day it is purchased, and then it is good for 60 days. WE REQUIRE BOTH INDIVIDUALS TO BE PRESENT WHEN APPLYING FOR THE LICENSE.
Both individuals must know their mother's maiden names and the state where each parent was born. If there was a previous marriage/civil union for either individual, they must know the month and year that the previous marriage/civil union ended. If it was within the last 12 months, they must provide documentation of the final date. There are no blood tests required in Vermont. 

Marriage License Fee is $60. We accept Cash, Money Order or LOCAL Checks ONLY. We DO NOT ACCEPT CREDIT/DEBIT CARDS.

Dog Licenses

All dogs over the age of 6 months are required by state law to be licensed before April 1 of each year. To license a dog, you must have a current rabies certificate. Dogs under 2 must have been vaccinated within the last 12 months; dogs over 2 years of age must have been vaccinated within 36 months. The rabies certificate needs to be the original received from and signed by the veterinarian.

Voter Registration

If you are a resident of the Town of Hartford, you may register to vote in the Town Clerk's Office. If you have never before registered to vote in the State of Vermont, we will administer the Voter's Oath. New names are added to the voter checklist before every election.

Last year, Secretary of State Jim Condos announced the launch of VT’s new Elections Management Platform.  This streamlined the elections administration process, providing voters with greater access to voter specific information.  Over 25,000 Vermonters registered to vote online in 2016.  For the November General Election, nearly 6,500 Vermonters requested an absentee ballot through the My Voter Page.  

By using the My Voter Page, a registered voter can:
  • Check registration status;
  • View information on upcoming elections;
  • Access voter specific elections information, including directions to a polling place and polling hours;
  • View a sample ballot; 
  • Request and track an absentee ballot; 
  • and much more. 
We encourage voters to log into their My Voter Page to learn more.  

Registered Voters can log in at:
Online registration can be found at:

Motor Vehicle Registration

The Town Clerk's Office provides temporary motor vehicle registration renewals if you have the renewal from the state and it was issued in the current month or 2 previous months. You must have a check or money order made out to the state for the amount of the registration (the state will not accept cash.) There is a $3 processing fee for the town, which can be paid in a separate check or in cash.